Education for Girls in 15-18 Years Age Group
Project Area: Area
In the State of Telangana: Rangy Reddy District — Shankarpally mandal; Vikarabad District- Vikarabad and Marpallymandals;Suryapet District — Nuthankal and Athmakur (5) mandals. In the State of Andhra Pradesh: Kurnool District — Halahadvi and Holagundamandals
Timeline: 2014 — 2022
The program follows up on adolescent girls who have dropped out of school giving Mem confidence to pursue education and join schools and thus making way for a second chance. MVF establishes contacts with out of school girls, provide Mr coaching classes, and help them take the National Open School examination; reappear for the class 10 bean.’ examination: and negotiate with the schools to re-enroll them.
In order to build an atmosphere in support of rights of adolescent children especially girls and their education MVF built awareness and mobilized communities on gender equality and girl’s education. It also strengthened capacities of the local functionaries in the system to reach out to adolescent children in implementing all laws and policies. It fostered forming of youth clubs as secular spaces for both boys and girls together as equals and ensure participate in joint activities without any discrimination.
| Donor: Stichting Charity Fund Rijsholt
- MVF followed-up girls and boys in the age group of 11-18 years and studying in classes 6th to 12th gradein 74 high schools, 7 KGBVs, 3 model schools and 19 Junior colleges to reduce dropouts, complaints of abuse, better transportation facilities, child marriages, extra help in academics in the program area and so on
- So far 5754 girls and 6976 boys were followed up to take class 10 and Intermediate board exam
- 15 school dropouts were encouraged to continue with their education through the Open School system and were subsequently mainstreamed.
- Formed 127 committees with adolescent girls and boys committees (together) in schools.
- 149 youth clubs at the village level have been formed that include boys and girls. The youth clubs take up joint activities up for sports, reading, awareness of entitlements and rights, trainings for boys on masculinity and gender equality and so on..
- Orientation has been given to community, gram panchayats, self- help groups, youth, CRPF, SMCs, school teachers on MVFs Non-Negotiable on Adolescent Children through group discussions, round table, trainings, and meetings at the village, gram panchayat and mandal level.
Fighting Exploitation, One Child At A Time
The Head Teacher of a school in Holagunda Mandal withheld a large portion of the Inspire Award money granted by the Government from the student it rightfully belonged to. This issue was pursued by youth volunteers until the MEO agreed to ensure that the remaining amount of Rs. 3,000 would be relinquished to the student.
Educating Children by Educating Parents
14 year old Mallikarjuna, from Halaharivi mandal, was forced to withdraw from school after Class 6. MVF volunteers, along with the boy’s Drawing Teacher, pursued the issue with Mallikarjuna’s parents and counseled the family on the importance of education until they relented to let their son resume his studies.